It’s Friday, it’s mid-April, and I just feel like it. So here’s a great promotion running for the next several days (while supplies last). I get a special discount on standard size canvas prints, so I would like to pass that special print on to my fans and customers. Here are the current limited time promotions – 11×14 canvas prints (ready to hang) for only $60 (normally $99). Only 20 of each available, so hurry!
Promotion Expired 4/17/2013… Thank you buyers!
A client of mine recently asked for a custom sized panoramic print for his dental office reception area. The images below are the options I provided, taking into consideration his furniture and other decor. He decided on the Marathon Key Sunrise Panoramic, but I’ll make the rest of these available for purchase as well, just click on the images below. As a side note, yes… I do take requests and I do custom orders! If you’re interested in my work and would like something customized, just let me know.
I’ve been trying to go through my collection of images to add new work to the site. The first batch in that effort is a bunch of macro photos of Butterflies and other Bugs, as well as Flower macros and other Close-Up Stuff. I’ll be adding much more to each of those galleries shortly. Here’s a teaser of what you can find in the galleries:
So… how does one go about shooting images like these? For outdoor shots of flowers and bugs, I travel light and low tech. Bugs move around a lot, and I don’t have the patience to set up a tripod and wait for them. Most of the butterfly photos were taken at Brookfield Zoo, during the summer when the butterfly exhibit was going on. There are plenty of subjects flying around in a natural environment with plenty of flowers to sit on. I approach slowly, shooting while getting closer and closer. That way, if they fly off I at least have something. It’s important to stop down to a small aperture to get as much depth of field as possible, since macro shooting results in very shallow DOF. Flowers are much easier because they don’t fly away, just watch out for wind.
What about gear? While a macro lens isn’t necessary, it sure does help. A cheap way to go is to start with a set of Kenko extension tubes. These work by increasing the distance between the sensor and the back of the lens, allowing closer focusing. I’m currently shooting with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro lens. It’s a fantastic combination for macro shooting, but also makes for a great portrait setup.
It’s finally here! Today I’m announcing the official re-opening of my specialty print shop. All of my images are now available for immediate customization and print ordering, direct from this site. The new order system allows you to choose various print configurations including standard prints, framed prints, and canvas prints. Further, you can choose custom mats and frames, for a completely finished, ready-to-hang art piece. I’m still working on adding a larger variety of frame and mat options, and plan on offering acrylic and metal prints in the near future. Check out some of the examples below, or find your own favorites!
EDIT: Payment via Amazon has now also been enabled!
Well, it looks like I’m officially dumping Fotomoto as my print provider for images hosted on this site. They are just not living up to the standards that I expect, and just doubled their costs, which I can’t in good conscience pass on to my customers. This change is good for everyone (except me since I have to now reprogram my site!), as I plan on using my fine art print provider, Fine Art America to offer prints for the rest of the images on this site. It will take me a little while to write the back-end code, in the mean time if there is an image that you would like to purchase a print of, please contact me. I will get the image uploaded to my portfolio site, and email you a direct link for purchase. What’s even better? The print prices will now be lower, and products include prints on paper, canvas, acrylic, and metal, with a variety of framing options. Stay tuned for more updates!
Speaking of fine art prints – my Fall 2012 promotion is on! Head over to my portfolio site and use coupon code JUGAEK for 30% off until the end of November!
It’s been quite a few months since my last post. Since then I’ve upgraded my camera to a Canon 5D Mark III, and I’m loving it. I’ve also been spending some time flying microlight trikes over the summer. Now, if I can only merge photography and flying, I’ll be all set!
On to the topic at hand… my 2013 Calendar Store is now open! I polished a few previous calendars, and created some new ones. They’re great holiday gifts for friends and family, and are a must for your own office. Pick some up today! Here’s a preview:
Lensrentals.com posted today their assessment of the 5D Mark III light leak fix, based on a new set of bodies that have been shipped by Canon. Naturally, they opened it up to see the fix, and below is what they found. While not exactly elegant, the simple electrical tape apparently does the job blocking stray light from the LCD display from hitting the metering system. Many folks are in an uproar about this simple solution, but quite frankly, those folks need to just chill. I, for one, think the issue is completely over blown. Who goes around shooting with their lens cap on and their LCD lit up anyway? I can see how this would potentially be an issue for someone doing long exposure night photography with auto-metering, but I can’t say that I’ve ever auto-metered a night shot. I see the point people are making about this being a $3500 camera, and issues like this being unacceptable. And while I agree to some point, I’m still very much enjoying my 5D and don’t plan on sending it back.
As you may or may not know, I sell my photography though FineArtAmerica.com, a trusted source for high quality art prints (that some of you already have on your walls, thank you!).
This month, they’re running a contest to select 5 images to feature in an upcoming TV commercial. There are two rounds to this contest – the first round is just a matter of getting at least 250 votes. The 2nd round is juried. The first round is where I can use your help!
If all of you could just visit each of the links below, and click the “Vote for this image” button, I would have enough votes to progress to the next round. All you have to do is log into the site with Facebook. They don’t save your information or require you to create an account, they just want to make sure you’re not a fake voter. So who wants to help me out?
Here are my three submissions:
Thanks in advance!!
From Canon USA: Canon USA will be launching new rebates starting on April 29, 2012. They will run through until June 2, 2012. This rebate program is a “double up” program. Your rebate will double if you purchase a 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 7D or 60D. For example, if you buy a 5D Mark III and a 14 f/2.8L II, the actual rebate would be $320.00.
The prices shown are current prices, rebate prices will be shown April 29th.
EF-S Zooms (Rebate Amount) Adorama Price | Amazon Price
- EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ($65.00) $799.00 | $689.95
- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ($80.00) $1179.00 | $1149.00
- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ($60.00) $859.00 | $835.00
- EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM ($40.00) $469.00 | $459.57
EF Prime (Rebate Amount) Adorama | Amazon
- EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM ($160.00) $2359.00 | $2199.00
- EF 20mm f/2.8 USM ($40.00) $539.00 | $539.00
- EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM ($120.00) $1749.00 | $1699.00
- EF 28mm f/1.8 USM ($40.00) $509.00 | $509.00
- EF 35mm f/1.4L USM ($100.00) $1479.00 | $1479.00
- EF 50mm f/1.2L ($120.00) $1619.00 | $1599.00
- EF 50mm f/1.4 USM ($30.00)$399.00 | $385.00
- EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM ($150.00) $2199.00 | $2154.80
- EF 85mm f/1.8 USM ($30.00) $419.00 | $419.00
- EF 100mm f/2 USM ($35.00) $499.00 | $499.00
- EF 135mm f/2.0L USM ($75.00) $1089.00 | $1089.00
- EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM ($90.00) $1449.00 | $1449.00
EF Zooms (Rebate Amount) Adorama | Amazon
- EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM ($110.00) $1699.00 | $1609.00
- EF 17-40mm f/4L USM ($60.00) $839.00 | $828.00
- EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM ($100.00) $1499.00 | $1449.00
- EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ($110.00) $1699.00 | $1656.00
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II ($200.00) $2499.00 | $2489.99
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM ($100.00) $1449.00 | $1348.99
- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM ($100.00) $1349.00 | $1349.00
- EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM ($100.00) $1599.00 | $1499.00
- EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM ($90.00) $1399.00 | $1326.29
EF Macro (Rebate Amount) Adorama | Amazon
- EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact-Macro ($20.00) $299.00 | $299.00
- MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo ($70.00) $1049.00 | $1049.00
- EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM ($40.00) $599.00 | $589.00
- EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM ($70.00) $1049.00 | $1049.00
- EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM ($110.00) $1579.00 | $1548.89
EF Tilt Shift (Rebate Amount) Adorama | Amazon
- TS-E 17mm f/4L ($170.00) $2499.00 | $2374.00
- TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II ($150.00) $2199.00 | $2196.00
- TS-E 45mm f/2.8 ($100.00) $1399.00 | $1389.00
- TS-E 90mm f/2.8 ($100.00) $1399.00 | $1369.00
Teleconverters (Rebate Amount) Adorama | Amazon
Speedlites (Rebate Amount) Adorama | Amazon
- Speedlite 270EX II ($10.00)$169.00 | $159.00
- Speedlite 320EX ($25.00) $249.00 | $224.00
- Speedlite 430EX II ($20.00) $299.00 | $279.00
- Speedlite 580EX II ($30.00) $499.00 | $469.00
- Speedlite 600EX-RT ($30.00) $629.00 | $604.97
- Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX ($30.00) $549.00 | $519.00
- Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX ($50.00) $829.00 | $789.00